Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Almost

This morning, someone tried to change lanes without looking and almost hit my car. It upset me, and although I was alone in the car, I said aloud, "He almost hit me!"

As soon as I said it - immediately - the Holy Spirit said to me, "So what?"

So what if he almost hit me? The important thing is - he didn't. We spend a lot of energy on "almost."

I almost lost my job. I almost died. I almost won the game. I almost got divorced. I almost married my high school sweetheart.

So what? Those things didn't happen. So why are they worth the energy that we direct to them? How much further along would we all be right now if we hadn't gotten stuck on the things that "almost" happened?

"For I dare not speak of those things which Christ has not accomplished through me, in word and deed . . ." (Romans 15:8) Equally applicable, one of my favorite Bible quotes, "Death and life are in the power of the tongue . . ." (Proverbs 18:21)

It didn't happen. Don't give it breath. When we give it breath, we give it life.

We are the benefactors of God's grace. In those "almost" moments, there is an opportunity to embrace and give God glory for the thing that DID happen. Even if, from our perspective, the thing that almost happened was something we wish HAD happened. Perhaps we should be grateful for what we learned as we prepared for the job we almost got, or the test we almost passed, or the race we almost won. It didn't happen, so what? The old adage says, "If it doesn't kill you, it makes you stronger." We are sometimes, somehow, stronger for the things that "almost" happened.

Aren't we fortunate that God doesn't hold our "almost" moments against us? For all those times we almost lied, almost fornicated, almost committed adultery, almost drank ourselves silly, almost hurt someone, almost did the complete opposite of what we were asked to do - but didn't - Thank God!

Thank God that the glory is not in the trial or tribulation, but in the victory. Thank God for second chances and for foresight and hindsight; for free will and moments when clearer heads prevail. Thank God. Thank God for intervening on our behalf in those "almost" moments when we couldn't have saved ourselves. And for Angels - those we see and those we don't - who act on our behalf.

I know it's hard to ask us to remove the word almost from our vocabulary. So for the time being, I'll ask us to work on not dwelling there. Celebrate your "almost" moments and see them for the victory that they are.

No comments:

Post a Comment